The town was the site of the Staines air disaster in 1972, at the time the worst air crash in Britain until the Lockerbie disaster of 1988.

The crash was commemorated in June 2004, with the opening of a dedicated garden near the crash site, created at the request of relatives, and the unveiling of a stained glass window at St. In 1894, the Local Government Act 1894 created the Staines Urban District of Middlesex.

In 1965, under the London Government Act 1963, most of the rest of Middlesex became part of Greater London while Staines Urban District was transferred to Surrey.

dating matt staines-85

The term 'Staines Lino' became a worldwide name but the factory was closed around 1970 and is now the site of the Two Rivers shopping centre completed circa 2000.

A bronze statue of two lino workers in Staines High Street commemorates the Staines Lino Factory.

In 1876 about 220 and in 1911 about 350 people worked in the plant.

By 1957 it employed some 300 people and in 1956 the factory produced about 2675 m of linoleum each week.

The town is within the western bounds of the M25 motorway and located 17 miles west south-west of Charing Cross in London.

It is within the London Commuter Belt of South East England and the built-up Greater London Urban Area. Evidence of neolithoic settlement has been found at Yeoveney, on Staines Moor.Staines was a site for a horse change on The Trafalgar Way in 1805, announcing the victory over the combined French and Spanish fleet and the death of Nelson.This is commemorated on a plaque on Staines town hall.The name Staines comes from the Old English, meaning "[the place at the] stone[s]".The equivalent Roman name was "ad Pontes" (plural "at the bridges") implying that there was more than one bridge and it is believed that these bridges traversed Church Island.There has been a crossing of the River Thames at Staines since Roman times.