There are 2 ways that you can get help to pay your rent if you are on a low income through Housing Benefit: If you rent from a private landlord and make a new claim for housing benefit, have a break in your existing housing benefit claim, or move to privately rented accommodation your claim will be assessed under the rules for Local Housing Allowance.

After 1 April 2018 the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rates will be applied to social housing as well as private sector properties.

backdating rent-22

Both properties must be public housing (whether or not provided directly by the council) and should be next to each other or within a few streets of each other. Apply for Housing Benefit for 2 properties (PDF, 375KB).

If you have moved to a new home, which you rent, and still have to pay rent on your old home you may be able to get some help.

You may get Housing Benefit if you have left your former home and are staying away because of violence or fear of violence.

This can be either in your home by another person, or outside your home by a former member of your family.

For this to be considered you must have moved to your new home.

Normally Housing Benefit can only be paid if you are actually living in the property you are claiming benefit for.Housing Benefit is normally only paid for the rent you pay on one home at a time.There are a few exceptions to this and you may be able to get extra help if: Apply for Housing Benefit for 2 properties (PDF, 375KB).This will mean that the lower of either the rent charged or the Local Housing Allowance rate will be used to calculate Housing Benefit entitlement.If you are single and under 35 years of age your claim for Housing Benefit may only be based on the Local Housing Allowance shared room rate.If you claim Universal Credit any help you are eligible for towards your rent costs will have already been paid within your Universal Credit payments.