Let me first pass a message to the parents who may be reading this: Running (and taking a child to) an unregistered daycare centre or crèche is a huge risk for both a parent and a crèche owner.

South African citizen, organization or community who has or intends to set up an ECD Centre, must contact the nearest office of the Department of Social Development/ offices of social workers.

Have you ever searched for funds, loans, financial assistance or need an accredited lender to help you meet up with your needs and demands?

A centre has to re-register when an applicant intends to:•move the centre to another building or premises•extend or decrease the size of the existing structure•increase the number of children enrolled•sell the business•change ownership.

The procedure for re-registration is the same as for registration.

If not satisfactory, the provisional certificate will be extended for a further 6 months during which a subsidy may be paid.

If the centre does not meet the minimum standards after this 6 month period it will be shut down.

Step 6The centre must be monitored by the social worker or other official employed and authorized by the provincial Department of Social Development for two years.

A developmental quality assurance assessment must be done and the registration certificate will be renewed or withdrawn.

During this time a subsidy may be granted to the centre to enable them to meet the minimum standards.